Sunday 23 January 2011

Project X: Audoballs - Bouncing balls with sound!

So my first quest is trying to get something I want to make working in processing. I decided I wanted to make some bouncing balls that play musical notes as they bounce. I figure if I get it working correctly then I might try and make it output something interesting also! (like make it generate a random ambient song or something).

My first port of call is trying to separate the elements of what will be in the sketch. Hopefully this will help to make it easier to create it. For this I just got a piece of paper and jotted down the occasionally random thoughts I had on it.

So I figured the basic elements I want are:

A display area for the ball to bounce around.

A ball/ Multiple balls.

A way of deciding where the ball is and converting that into a range of values. (range of values would probably be the pitch values that correspond to a scale)

I then need a function (not sure what the correct description would be) that moves the ball around.

A function that tells the ball to reverse direction (bounce) when it hits the sides of the display area. This would probably incorporate the midi note on also.

I believe the correct way for me to make the balls is to create a class that describes it and then I can, I believe, create as many balls as I want from that template.

No comments:

Post a Comment